If you’ve been physically or mentally injured by a violent crime, you can apply for compensation from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).

You will be eligible if the crime has been committed in the past two years, and if it was reported to the police as soon as possible.

It doesn’t matter whether the offender has been caught, but there are other rules which affect your chances of getting any money. The process can be complicated and take a long time, but we’ll explain how the process works and how you can submit your application online.

You can get more information and application forms directly from Gov.uk: compensation for victims or by calling their helpline on 0300 003 3601.